13 May 2010

Puccini Chicken




(click on image to enlarge)

The Surreal Gourmet was published in 1992 and written By Bob Blummer. A favorite cook book and Glazed Italian Chicken is my favorite recipe. Blummer suggests the pairing of this Italian chicken with the playing of Puccini hence my dubbing it Puccini Chicken. It's a bit of a mess but simple and fun to do.

A slight modification to the menu. Don't beat your chicken. Certainly not in front of your dinner date. Instead, slice the chicken breast across or just buy thin sliced breasts. Or, you can let your date beat your chicken. The point is to crank the Puccini up, uncork a dry Umbrian white and pretend your Italian and a chef with a Moto Guzzi outside.

7 comments:

TRB said...

have enjoyed this book for years...inscribed by The Trad himself no less! The glazed chicken has always been a favorite of ours too. Never made it while dating, but imagine that the chicken would have been best beaten before the date. Probably finish faster, and allow the real preparation to be enjoyed with the date at a more leisurely pace.

tintin said...

TRB- My cooking posts never seem to do well but I'm glad you like the book. I also like his Salmon poached in the dishwasher.

Anonymous English Female said...

You don't own a copy of 'Les Diners de Gala' do you? Keep going on the surreal cooking posts.

GSV JR said...

Ever heard about that recipe for orange chicken where you leave a rubber chicken under a tanning lamp, throw a bottle of vermouth against the wall, and then go cycling with a house plant?

I don't think it's in that book. Try it, though. It might be up your turnpike.

tintin said...

Anon Eng Femme- I've seen a copy. Probably too out there for me but without doubt an influnece on Blummer.

Stew- You're the pro so I defer to you but it is a fun and easy cookbook that works. Try boiling an egg by Mark Bittman's first cookbook.

Julia said...

One of my first 'adult' boyfriends gave me this book. We would assemble the 'lettuce leaves around the salmon, tied with twine' thing and and grill it on a cheap hibatchi(sp?). I think there's also a nice French toast recipe in there. Nice memory. I'll try the chicken. Thank you, Trad.

Anonymous said...

Hi Iam Prabhu from chennai,joined today in this forum... :)