16 September 2010

Otter's Sweater & Jay Kos







Jay Kos is an odd cat but I love his vision. He's also insanely expensive. But I look at his aesthetic this way. What you see is Jay. It's not a Filson bag or a Barbour coat. It's 110% Jay Kos. I saw this sweater in his shop a couple years ago and recognised it immediately. Jay asked if I know the story behind it. Do I know the story behind it? Please.

I checked out the price and looked at him in disbelief. "Jay, is this cashmere?" "Nope." he smiles. "It's just wool?" "Yep." he's still smiling. And he tells me how he took a picture of Otter's sweater from the movie, sent it to Scotland and had 20 made. I can get five Shaggy Dog sweaters from J. Press for the price of one Otter sweater. Not that I need five Shaggy Dogs.

It's seamless but is it worth it? I look around. I go on line. Discover the original sold for $3,250 at an auction. I buy a similar striped sweater but it's not the Otter. Not even close. A year goes by and that impulsive moron that lives inside of me complains, "What if Kos sold out and you missed your chance? You'll never see this (a beat) again!"

I go back to Kos. He has two left. I try one on. It fits. I beat myself up pretty good for buying it. The guilt and shame of being hosed in NYC. Today? Who cares. The sting of the money is gone and I have one of 20. Well, 21 including the one Matheson wore.
Update: J. Crew has seen the attraction to limited editions. Based on this jacket - - I'm feeling very good about my Otter Sweater.

23 comments:

brohammas said...

So, is this like the Trad equivelent of wearing a Tom Brady Jersey?

Anonymous said...

Is it a bad screen cap or are the stripe colors different from the original?

Tom Buchanan said...

Great sweater, Mr. Rush Chairman. I wonder where the original was purchased. I had an old Pringle sweater with pastel stripes years ago.

Anonymous said...

Awesome sweater, but I think it is 10% Kos and 90% Otter. I think Otter was supposed to be played by Dan Ackroyd but Lorne Michaels nixed all of the SNL actors except Belushi.

LPC said...

Terrifyingly, for a time I wore a striped Shetland-ish crew like this. It was 1976. Probably my youth overcame much of the cosmetic impact, but I can't guarantee it. In any case, whatever soul I had as a young woman was completely and wholly obscured.

Anonymous said...

Favorite proverb: "Buy the best and you only cry once."

Kim said...

You'll be damn glad you have that sweater.

Anonymous said...

Can you talk about shirt collars and crew neck sweaters? Always button down? Collars always tucked inside?

Charles said...

Blogging must pay well.

Anonymous said...

The colors of the screencap probably don't translate well. Regardless, the colors of the Jay Kos are indeed much nicer.

Anonymous said...

What is that saying . . ."there's a sucker born every minute"???? I think BJW and WC will still snicker at you when you wear this sweater! I say stick with the velvets and tartan! DMW

Anonymous said...

tintin --

You could have got the cucumber for a lot less.

Anonymous said...

20 people bought that sweater?

Anonymous said...

you could have had the thing made in Scotland yourself for maybe $150.

Anonymous said...

Take ivy came today. It sucks. Thanks for recommending it dick brain.

Main Line Sportsman said...

"The guys at the Jewish House said every one of our answers on the psychology test were wrong."
Robert Hoover, Pres. Delta Tau Chi
I believe Eric and his sweater are taking that test in the scene depicted here.

Anonymous said...

hahahah... what a jerk! ↑
(although the printing is kinda crap)

Nice sweater tho. Great blog. Cheers.

Anonymous said...

JK says he's inspired by English menwear. No one in London would be caught dead wearing such a rubbish jumper. Pure yuck.

GSV JR said...

"She'll take this seriously..."

I got an Academy reunion comin' up. I may need to borrow that. I wonder if it works with flip-flops...

Paul Raymond said...

I take issue with the anonymous English poster. I'm English and I love the sweater. You just have to know how to wear it. If ever it feels a little tight under the arms...

Julia said...

Let's say your sweater cost $1,000. If you wear it 100 times, that comes out to $10/per wearing. So, start wearing it and bring that bottom line down. I've missed you, Trad.

Anonymous said...

THAT is a bad ass sweater. they kind of sweater you could take babs on a date in. The Kind of sweater Mr Thoughtful could show up on a date with a dozen roses and she would steal from your as you ducked out the window from her jealous boyfriend who turns out ISNT dead...

Smith H. said...

Apparently Lands' End has read your post and re-processed the sweater with Fall colors. Not an exact match, but it captures some of the spirit: http://www.landsend.com/products/mens-multi-stripe-crewneck-lambswool-sweater/id_293442?sku_0=::MLE