30 August 2011

"Sit Next To Me, Sexy"

Chateau Musar- Elegance from the Bekka Valley


"Over the years, I’ve loved some and disliked others, but I’ve always found them fascinating. Their “flaws” will not make them universally loved, with many being turned off for one reason or another (such as the barnyard and funk that often accompanies them).

Those who do like their style and character will be, and have been, enthralled by age worthy wines coming from an unlikely location." Review from Wine Exchange

Many years ago I dated a woman from Lebanon. She was older with thick black hair, coffee and cream satin skin, jet black eyes and the best French kisser I have ever known. Curvy with a fondness for tight dresses -- everything above her heels was welcoming. She defined sultry and she liked to call me, "sexy." As in, "What are you doing way over there? Come sit next to me, sexy."

The 2001 Chateau Musar ($45) is a full on sexy mouth of of silk. While the more affordable Hochar ($26) comes full on Rhone -- Bordeaux would be my reference for Chateau Musar. An elegant blend of Cabernet, Cinsault and Carignane, it finishes unlike any wine I've ever had in my life. Long, spicy with just a hint of sin.

I paired it last night with short rib burgers from Pat La Frieda. No cheese this time. Only a thick slice of New Jersey tomato, lettuce and a slice of onion all on a potato roll. Despite the contrast of a burger and a $45 wine -- or, because of it -- it worked that magic when simple food and wine combinations turn into glorious moments remembered forever.

Does the wine remind me of the woman or does the woman remind me of the wine? I'm not sure. They're both unique and not obviously beautiful. Look, any man browsing in a wine store is not gonna be drawn to a $45 red wine from Lebanon. But, that's exactly where life gets interesting. So... what are doing sitting way over there, sexy?

7 comments:

Unclelooney said...

Another post where everything comes together nicely at the end, just like The Simpsons!

The rest of my day though will be spent trying to decide if wine is waspier than beer.

tintin said...

Thx. I like to think it's more like Seinfeld.

Unclelooney said...

I was going to say that as well but work gets in the way of my thought processes

ann said...

I tried the Pomerol that you recommended & it was excellent, so I'll have to give this a try. Nice description.

M.Lane said...

I can't wait to try this! It may take me a few bottles to really get introduced though...

ML
mlanesepic.blogspot.com

initials CG said...

Lebanese women have a lot going for them. Beautiful, seductive, mysteriously feminine, and yes the best kissers by far. Infact,continuing that train of thought, they have some other aspects that put them in a league all their own.

I admit I dont have a sufficient statisically valid sample to substantiate my generalization, but I'm working as hard as I can on that!

Giuseppe said...

The last few wine shops I've worked in have carried these wines, usually at the wine buyers insistence over the owners objections. The buyer sees what you see, the owner see a potentially unsellable expensive wine.

In the end, I'm glad the buyers won. These wines are a real treat if you're an adventurous drinker.