11 March 2010

A Man's Movie: Patton








Intermission




"All glory is fleeting." You bet your ass it is. This weeks Man's Movie is Patton. While Francis Coppola got an Oscar for the screenplay - - I think this is the actor's movie. The Blue Ray version is a knock out and these crappy pictures, save for one or two, don't even come close.

It's a long movie and Coppola's commentary is great although his thick voice and accent really grate on me after a while. Still, it's a thinking man's war picture. Not as eclectic and anti war as Kirk Douglas in Path's of Glory but nuanced just enough so that yahoo's avoid it.

Are you exhausted of the military stuff? I force fed you a lot this week and for that I apologise. Next week will be a little different. It's not gonna be Noel Coward week or anything like that but we'll try on something different for a change.

13 comments:

Charles said...

I've seen the movie a lot but I don't remember those shoes.

BigDaddyMan said...

Greatest. Movie. Ever.

Your blog is the best mix of Americana, style, and history out there. Quit your day job and post more often.

tintin said...

LWing- Omar Bradley wore them.

Big Daddy- How do I eat?

Alice Olive said...

Yes, this week has felt a little military. Glad you admitted it, thought it was just me. I'd be happy with Noel Coward. Or something stylish and sarcastic like Margo Channing.

RHW said...

I love this film. I love this story.

Brummagem Joe said...

Tintin: agree it's a great movie but inevitably a little romanticized. I'm more conflicted about Patton personally rather as I'm conflicted by MacArthur who is to me a much more interesting personality. But then to be a great military commander usually requires being something of an egomaniac although there are exceptions (Nimitz, Spruance, Slim)......Can't wait for the Coward (I'll get out my cigarette holder).

JW said...

I love the military stuff...hope you'll watch and comment on The Pacific next week...

brandon sargent said...

one of my favorite movies, and a good one to watch on a weekend like we will be having in the northeast.

"Hell, I know I'm a prima donna.
I admit it. What I can't stand about Monty is,he won't admit it."

as an aside, a friend took one look at my dvd shelf and told me it looked just like his dad's- haha. have a good one.

Anonymous said...

"Intermission"... LOL! Clever sneaking that in there, Tintin!

-DB

GSV JR said...

I've got this on Blu-Ray, too. Great flick. I wish there was a comparable one re: Rommel. The Desert Fox is boring.

Brummagem Joe said...

"The Desert Fox is boring."

.....au contraire...it's worth it for James Mason's voice which if I could choose voices is the one I'd go for

Foster Huntington said...

i dont like paying for the same real estate twice..

Michael Rowe said...

I personally love the military stuff, and especially your spin on it.