24 February 2012

Seven Days of Memories: Phred & Anne

Phred and Anne, New Mexico or Arizona, May 1984

I called from Ft Bragg through a Watts line. I was coming home for a three day weekend just before ETS'ing and was gonna clear it with him. The operator answers and I tell her, "Sgt Tinseth calling for Colonel Tinseth. Please patch me through to..." and I gave her the home number.

He tells me he doesn't think it's a good idea. He and my mother are getting a divorce. Things just didn't work out. I hang up and break down. Sgt Murphy asks what happened. I tell him and he tells me to take the rest of the day off.

Four years later I get this picture. I am stunned. Not only at the beauty of Anne but mostly because he's wearing a name tag. He hated name tags and the disingenuous BS that went with them. But there he was. Obviously happy. Wearing a name tag.

He met her while she was painting a spare tire cover on the back of an RV. He thought she looked pretty good. He'd been in the New Mexico desert following old stage coach trails with a metal detector. I had this picture of him in shorts with black socks waving his detector back and forth in the middle of nowhere.

They never married but lived with each other almost 30 years until Anne passed away last November. He was positive he would go first. His last plan spoiled by Murphy's Law. His health declined rapidly but he lied to his children for fear he'd be a burden. He talked of assisted care and a trip to Sweden. And then he told me, "Being a helpless fucking fool is no fun."

9 comments:

mrscrumptous said...

Trad: I was going to drop in with one of my sweetheart messages and wish you a fab friday.. and saw the post about your dad...

delete that one please, did not mean to be disrespectful.

Sorry and you have my sympathies.

Anonymous said...

What an endearing thing your father did - wearing a silly name tag - most likely out of love for the woman he was with. Sometimes a beautiful act touches to us in unexpected ways.

-DB

TRB said...

What an end to the seven days. You're fortunate to have these images and memories. I would venture to say they don't make 'em like that anymore.

Brian Miller said...

Every time I read one of these meaningful posts I heard "Tank Park Salute" in my head. Sorry for your loss, Tintin and thank you for sharing.

Alice Olive said...

Such a touching series. Thank you for sharing.

Chuck Hatt said...

I read each of the seven. Very nicely done and a moving tribute. I can only hope to inspire a faint bit of admiration and respect that you're father inspired in you. God bless.

Anonymous said...

he spaketh so true- zamboni

Anonymous said...

I'm a bit speechless over this one. This was a beautiful cap to a week of great posts.

It's strange what happens in life. We like to think that we're the masters of our own destiny, but seldom is that true.

Thanks for sharing a week of thought provoking, sad, and humorous posts.

--Matthew

Michael said...

Gorgeous writing, John. I'd be so proud to have written this series myself. Book. Book! BOOK!