09 February 2012

Inspiration: Givenchy & The Viet Cong

I was recently asked how women might mix patterns. I started digging around the Trad archives and found this Givenchy Couture sketch I bought without really knowing why. I put it away with the intention of framing it but never did. I have a whole lotta stuff I need to frame.



In the same folder was this watercolor I've been meaning to have framed. The dealer who sold it to me called it "Commie Art" and it's of a VC squad attacking a U.S. Army camp. It's dated 1968. I also bought this without knowing why.

Sometimes I'll see something -- art, clothes, pictures -- and think it's something else. Once corrected, I almost always enjoy what I think I saw more. I'm not sure if that's creativity as much as as it's nearsighted stealing.


The Givenchy fabric on the top reminds me of the camouflage pattern on the '50s French Foreign Legion Paratrooper smock. The green, orange and black tartan echos the night attack with its tents, fire and shadows.

With the understanding that inspiration can come from anywhere, and it's Fashion Week in New York...I propose trousers in the top camo and a jacket in the tartan. With a white oxford button down of course. Now where's my tent?

4 comments:

Alice Olive said...

"Sometimes I'll see something -- art, clothes, pictures -- and think it's something else. Once corrected, I almost always enjoy what I think I saw more."

Love that.

Anonymous said...

Not exactly the solution I had hoped for but pure Trad all the same! Thanks, ME

randall said...

After reading your blog for a long time and seeing similar character traits between you and me, I'm glad to learn that in the future I'll probably turn out just fine.

Anonymous said...

I echo that Randall. For a while I thought I was going crazy, but then I found this blog. Turns out everyone else is nuts.

--Matthew