07 December 2009

A Week of Formal Options: The Smoking Jacket

The Herzfeld Smoking Jacket



Paul Stuart emamel studs

You're having a holiday party at home and everything is ready...but you. Unless you have a butler I assume you're going to answer the door. In what? Cargo pants and a Moto Guzzi T shirt? By the way, I have a Moto Guzzi T shirt. It's the coolest T shirt ever but we're not here to discuss Moto Guzzi.

The Smoking Jacket may be something like a buggy whip or a typewriter repairman and I guess that's why I like them so much. Up there is that little number I picked up at Herzfeld. It's Austrian and consequently a little unique with most Smoking Jackets coming from England or Italy. I have worn it on the street as a jacket with double cuff shirt, silk knots and jeans. But I'd only do that in New York. Certainly not Jackassville, FL where this outfit is banging 12 on the "Get Your Butt Kicked" meter.

It's really for home. And for entertaining. Speaking of which, I miss the reel to reel tape player. I had one in the Army and college and it had the auto reverse option where it automatically played the other side by reversing itself. Made a big impression while entertaining girls in college. I also put gin and tonic in a cocktail shaker and after it blew up...Well, I don't know if it made an impression but the girl still remembers it.

If you're entertaining - - at home - - don't shake gin and tonic in a cocktail shaker and give the Smoking Jacket a chance. Paul Stuart carries them. That's where I found those enamel studs. Turnbull & Asser has some beautiful jackets and they even offer a smoking fez to match. Herzfeld, of course, still carries them.

Ira, who works at Herzfeld, was telling me about a smashing Smoking Jacket he saw on Turner Classic Movies showing of the 1944 film, Gaslight with Charles Boyer. That's the great thing about anachronistic clothing. You may not see much of it on the street anymore but there's always the movies. Tomorrow- The Velvet Dinner Jacket.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet smoker.

Unfortunately, good smoking jackets are difficult to come by outside of the Old Country. Paul Stewart, being the exception to the rule. But, I do recall that my my old Paul-Stewart smoker, from my narrower days, was excellent and worth every penny of the price.

My smoker, along with a nice Cashmere dressing gown, from Brooks Brothers overstock at give-away prices. I doubt Brooks wants to repeat that experience again anytime soon. But, second-hand and consignment shops often do have smokers in fair condition priced at a song.

ADG said...

Brilliant Tintin. I'm still laughing out loud at the G&T shaker blow up.

Excellent post. I hope that all is well.

ADG

Anonymous said...

P.S.,

Rather than a propeer fez, I picked up a velvet cap made in Nepal from a odd hat shop, no w sadly defunct. Lacking a fez, anything velvet and oriental completes look.

tintin said...

Death- Maybe Brooks is a glutton for punishment.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatSectionView.process?IWAction=Load&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=512

ADG- I was never a smooth operator and that has gone unchanged.Hope all is well with you.

Anonymous said...

Kudos to Brooks for manning up!

heavy tweed jacket said...

Very funny post. I think you are right about the smoking jacket being an entertaining at home rig. Out on the streets? You're on your own.

RandyLuvsPaiste said...

No pic of you in the smoking jacket and velvet slippers?

~Tessa~Scoffs said...

I actually have a smoking jacket - procured back in my thrifting days for $5. It's pristine and fits my husband like a glove. HOme attire only.

C.Sharp said...

Great Jacket. Is it a Christoph Neuer? That is the only Austrian smoking jacket maker I know.

tintin said...

Tweed- Thanks. I bought a collection of 80's BB catalogs and have some duplicates. PM me an address and they're yours.

Randy- The slippers will be posted this week but I'm still stinging after my Gawker incident so no pics of me for a while.

Tessa- The good ones are hard to find anymore. I've hit some thrift stores on 23rd St and the pickins are slim. Meanwhile, St Augustine, FL has one of the best thrift stores I've ever seen. I would bet there's little to no competition for a smoking jacket in northeast FL.

tintin said...

C. Sharp - You know a helluva lot more than me. Only the Herzfeld tag and a Made in Austria tag. I'll check with Ira. He'll know.

Anonymous said...

Victorian dance hall, what?

Keith said...

I'd love to have one of these.

Unknown said...

They just don't make them like this anymore. So classic!

Anonymous said...

Tintin,
That smoking jacket is lovely, but if you don a fez with it on the street, I don't care where you are, you are getting an ass beating. D

Anonymous said...

"I have worn it on the street as a jacket with double cuff shirt, silk knots and jeans. But I'd only do that in New York."

Don't keep us in suspense...did you take first place in the Nathan Lane look alike contest?

tintin said...

Keith - $500 and it's yours.


Sher- No they don't and for $500 it's yours.

D- And they'd steal my hip Dutch bike with laminated wood basket.

Anon- 3rd. I've never taken 1st place in anything.

tintin said...

C Sharp- Spoke with Jonathan Cline at Herzfeld. You're right. It's Neuer. Do you know if they're still around?

casual jackets said...

I think this jacket looks very posh still pritty cool though!

Gregorius Mercator said...

Jackassville - classic!