09 June 2011

ETROcentricity


Based on my limited knowledge of textiles...which reminds me of wise advice given in the army. "You don't have be brave. You just have to be braver than the guy next to you." Anyway, I don't know much about textiles but I bet I know more than at least one of you. These Etro GTH pants incorporate late 18th and early 19th century prints from European "provincial" traditions.


Like the shirt I'm wearing above, the designs were printed on the fabric using wood blocks. This practice continued until the late 19th century when machines took over. Again, it's the idea of wearing history -- whether that history is 20 years old or 300.

I'm not sure the designers at Etro are aware of the history or even care. A criticism I have against designers today is they rarely know anything about what they're stealing.

But who says you have to know the history of what you're wearing? It does help to have some knowledge but most people are happy going to the mall to get what they wear. And then there are people like Bud Collins.


Bud in his own Etro's and while I'm not sure, that shoe looks like the Italian, R Martegani.


Bud travels the world covering tennis and searching for fabric. This is an Italian fabric.


He brings the fabric back to Charlie Davidson at the Andover Shop in Boston where the goods are transported into...Art. Every pair of Bud's trousers tell a story. The investment of Bud's time and money helped created a sartorial legend. There's no reason why you can't create your own as well. Taking the test below should help you on your way.


M Magazine - September 1988 From, Blessed Are the Cracked by James Fallon

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like clothes, I like stories, I like history. The printing with wood blocks interests me in that I would like to learn how those blocks are created; carved, painted, multi pieced? I have great knowledge about the quill work and beading on American Indian traditional clothing, scrimshaw, as well as the sartorial religious expression of the Rastafari... but I normally don't wear any of that. I don't wear it because either I don't like how it looks now, how it looks on me, is not appropriate for the situations my life places me in... and because I am not Rastafarian.
So with my appreciation, and my pennies, I pass the mall and hit the outlets because it is the best visual I can afford on my budget.

But really, I want to know more about the blocks.

Anonymous said...

Should you be wearing a Rolex Submariner?

tintin said...

Bro- I have a book on the blocks. We'll discuss off line. Top secret stuff.

Anon- They're far too cool for me to be wearing one but I bought this in 1976 when uncool guys wore them.

http://thetrad.blogspot.com/search/label/Rolex

Anonymous said...

YES! You posted the picture of the pants I like. The first picture of Bud. I'd wear those, but definitely not with those shoes! I can also let you know that I would be that one person that doesn't know as much about textiles as you. Now that I think about it, those pants scare me.

Alice Olive said...

Ah, Chris Evert, you're taking me back.

I do like to know the history but I have to acknowledge that I don't do very much beyond the first couple of layers. (Pun intended.)

Meanwhile, your recent posts make me realize that I rarely wear patterns. (It's the freckles. I was born with a pattern.) Oh, except for scarves.

Oyster Guy said...

Being "trad" in 2011 is eccentric. True/False.

John said...

Nice quiz...I seem to qualify.

Unclelooney said...

My 7 out of 10 score notwithstanding, eccentrics do not ENHANCE their job performance by discussing espadrilles, shirtless Jazz musicians, the causes of the American Civil War and how to make Cochon Pibil with strangers.


I'm probably even more normal than 2buttonswag.

Anonymous said...

My good uncle, I scored quite low on the eccentric quiz (because I didnt take the time to do the math), I think the American Civil War and its influence on modern American society to be quite useful, am waaaay more normal than anyone with swag, and am a little upset I am missing a conversation about eating pig parts.
Tintin- how about Aesthentic? bust out the ascot baby!

Dallas said...

11. I am a Narcissist. True/False

Anonymous said...

@Unclelooney:

In my defense, Herbie Mann is not shirtless on the cover of that vinyl I posted, you can clearly see he has a sweater on. Although made of his hair, it is still a sweater nonetheless.

As for being normal. Let me tell you a little something Unclecooley. I am an ex Green Beret. I was once targeted for persectuion and abuse by a sheriff in the small town of Hope, Washington. The Sheriff pushed me until my mind flooded with repressed memories of Nam, causing me to snap. I first killed a deputy and headed into the hills half naked armed with nothing but a knife. A massive manhunt began and I slowly picked every law enforcement officer within a 50 mile radius, one by one. After destroying the entire town, my commanding officer showed up, calmed me down, and got me out of there. I did have to serve time in a military prison until....well, that's another story for another time.

Anonymous said...

@Unclelooney

...And since you've mentioned my "normalcy" the hits on my blog increased by 28. However, it has stalled, so those who have visited have probably noticed the same.

@TinTin

I also meant to applaud you for your courage to wear that shirt. As much as I like the pattern, I have no doubt in my mind I could never pull it off.

Hazen Pingree said...

Bud Collins is nuts and/or has impaired vision. True/False

Hazen Pingree said...

P.S. The first fabric is lovely, but Bud's pants all look like Julie Andrews made them for him to play in.

Anonymous said...

Well said. Should I buy a new Rolex Submariner for eight grand?

Anonymous said...

I scored a nine- finally a label I can proudly wear, eccentric, fantastic!

Mitch said...

check this outhttp://www.budcollinstennis.com/?cat=45

tintin said...

Mitch- Many thanks for the link. For all interested, Mitch's link will take you to many more of Bud and Charlie's GTH collaborations.

My Affair with Michael Bastian said...

Etro is terrific for people looking for quality suits but not necessarily wanting to pay Gucci-prices.