24 April 2009

Friday Belts: The Bellinigator

Bellini meets Alligator

Pairing a belt to a cocktail requires some effort. I wanted to go with the Bellini but what belt to pair it with? Something Spring or Summer to be sure. But not too informal because while the Bellini is cheap - - it ain't beer. Yet, there are some beers that cost more than a Bellini. Confused? I know I am.

A bottle of Prosecco shouldn't set you back more than $15. I use Zardetto. I like it and it's cheap. $12 or so. The mix used for a Bellini is not cheap. That little 8.5 oz can you see here is Cipriani and like everything Cipriani it's a bloody fortune. Why is anybody's guess. Take their NYC restaurant - If your idea of a great lunch is watching other people eat while not caring the slightest what your food tastes like --and paying $100 a head for the privilege while crammed into children's furniture - - you'll love Cipriani. The mix comes in at $3 a can. You can use other white peach puree but, while I hate to admit it, Cipriani is the best I've found so far. If anyone has a suggestion please let me know but I have to taste the fuzz of the peach.

Pour about a inch and half of the mix into a champagne glass. A little more or less depending on how much you wanna stretch it and then fill with Prosecco. That's it. A great alternative to the Sunday morning Mimosa or as a low alcohol pre - dinner cocktail . Crisp and bubbly and sweet. The first sip always reminds me of homemade peach ice cream on a farm in North Carolina when I was eight -- which reminds me of my country cousins who dared this Army Brat to pee on an electrical fence but that's another story.

The belt is alligator. "Made by hand in America" is stamped on its forest green back. Made by Faconnable and found on sale in Nordstrum's Off The Rack five years and one belt size ago. I must stop drinking that Straub beer. Love the color. Called British Tan by some shoe and belt makers it's perfect for Summer cotton suits in khaki or olive. Some folks buy alligator products on line and through mail order but I just can't see why. So much of it is about the individual belt - - the character of each skin is so different. Picking one out is half the fun. A lot more fun than peeing on an electric fence. Buena Fortuna.

15 comments:

John Patrick George said...

This is an inspired pairing. You have a gift, sir.

David V said...

Bellinis have been on my mind of late. As have G&Ts. Must be the need for warm weather already. Sorry about the belt. Owning it is nice. Wearing it would be nicer.

Tucker said...

Love the belt, but I only see Bellinis being drunk by middle-aged women at Macaroni Grill.

Maybe I need to get out more.

Tone Loki said...

Tintin - Have you ever tried a Bicicletta? Aperol topped up with Prosecco? I cannot recommend it enough for drinking in warm climes...

Ben said...

I like croc and gator in manageable amounts. Insert quip about alcohol consumption here.

Too much reptile and you look like, well, a reptile. A belt, a nice one like yours, is just inside my limit.

I like it most as a watch strap, and I have a few made with contrast stitching. Very sporty.

Michael Rowe said...

I need one of those belts! And I must try a Bellini sometime (having become a convert to Mojitos on my recent trip) and broaden myself past my G&T loyalty. By the way, Tin, I'm still waiting for my Trad rating based on that photo of me in the Brooks Brothers suit I sent you!

The Ancient said...

Here's another possibility, which I have not yet tried:

http://www.amazon.com/Culinary-Traditions-101601-White-Peach/dp/B0001T2KMQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=gourmet-food&qid=1240609314&sr=1-5

tintin said...

John Patrick- That "gift" got me in trouble last night at the Grammercy Tavern. A little too much vino.

David V- The belt is on the border line of comfort but vanity gets it out of the closet.

Tucker- I like to socialize with only the most erudite and sophiticated people - -females. Even the middle aged ones.

Tony- I haven't but I am. Thanks!

Ben- I agree on too much reptile and lizard kinda makes me gag. A gator or croc belt alone and certainly not matched to the same in boots or shoes. A little goes a long way. Just like that Bellini.

Micahel- My consultation has been sent. My advice from now on--"Anyone can say you shouldn't wear it - - No one can tell you not to." Copyright 2009

The Ancient- My hunt for that stuff in NY starts today.

Anonymous said...

In the movie "Matinee" a fictional 1950s director/promoter (played by John Goodman) on his way to the Miami premiere of "Mant!: Half man, half ant, all terror!", stops at a roadside stand and, seeing a stuffed alligator gets an idea for another film. He ponders for a minute, "Manigator? Alliman? Hmm..."

I think he could have had better luck with your Friday Belt!

-DB

Summer is a Verb said...

I take umbrage at that comment Tucker. I have never been to a Macaroni Grill in my life and prefer my Bellinis sitting in a high backed velvet chair in the window of the Plaza post J. Sisters Salon appt. The nerve...

Anonymous said...

http://www.agr.state.nc.us/ncproducts/ShowSite.asp?ID=2975

Tater

Josh R said...

British tan -- heh!

Anonymous said...

Re: Allie in G'town ~
Never thought of going to a bar, perching on a high-backed velvet chair AFTER getting my hoo-ha waxed. I get trashed on tequila to numb the pain and humiliation BEFORE splaying my legs for the nether-region abuse we gals know as Brazilian waxing. Besides, my husband (then designated driver) is usually so eager to get home to inspect the deforestation that going to a public place is out of the question.

Summer is a Verb said...

hahahaa..glad I came back to appreciate this follow up. Sooo worth it!

tintin said...

hoo-ha? I love that.