01 July 2014

Dirty White Bucks















Purchased in 1984

They were partly a middle finger to the college establishment who instructed males that graduation dress would be white shirt, dark trousers with black shoes and black robes.  I wore a pink shirt, white duck trousers, pink argyle socks and these shoes … 30 years ago.

They were resoled in 1996 and haven't been touched since.  The brand is lost to the ages but the wear is honest.  30 Summers and never a season more.  That's not so much a rule as a personal code -- It's the same reason I wouldn't intentionally 'distress' them or anything else I own.

Sometimes it's hard being honest... but a man's shoes should never have to lie.

4 comments:

SMTSOAD said...

I salute you - I recently found the fuchsia check Thomas Pink shirt I wore to my graduation to spite various people. Possibly including, in retrospect, myself. Looking at the photos it didn't take a clean picture.

In my defence I didn't want to attend the goddamn graduation but my girlfriend at the time told me I had to. Not sure why I listened...

Main Line Sportsman said...

I have 2 pairs in the same condition...and one pair that are pristine. Problem with these kicks was that they had zero coefficient of friction on the beer soaked floor of a fraternity party room!

Anonymous said...

Ballsy. My choice of a blue Oxford and a pair of tan bluchers created a bit of buzz among my classmates during commencement at Auburn. This was in 2002, mind you. If you ever know anyone who wants to go to college at a public university where the '60s never happened ...

Ben said...

Non-original laces, I presume. Aglets don't survive the 80s and 90s in that condition.

I miss my LLBean loden saddle bucks. Wish I had your foresight.