09 July 2014

Shagging in the Past

You've said that you regarded respectability as one of the
prime enemies of individualism.  Do you regard love as 
an enemy of individualism?

No, no --  What's love got to do with respectability?

I posted this video in April of 2012 with Al Green's lyrics.  Seems appropriate to repost today.

I remember heading down to Myrtle Beach for a long weekend with two cars of Army buddies when I was stationed at Ft Bragg.  I was 20 and wound up dancing with a frosted blonde in her forties. She had long pink nails and held a Schlitz 'Tall Boy' in one hand and an Eve cigarette in the other. She taught me how to shag.

The past is never dead. It's not even past.  William Faulkner


Main Line Sportsman said...

Have you ever seen the movie "Shag?"
Bridget Fonda and Pheobe Cates....reminds Dusty of his teen years.

tintin said...

I saw it. It's horrible. I don't know about Bam Bam's teenage yrs.

M.Lane said...

I didnt learn to shag until WL in 81, but I didnt have that sort of woman to teach me. Well done my friend....


Anonymous said...

JT, Facebook: The Pad at Ocean Drive & Sonny's Pavilion Reunion. Book: Shag The Legendary Dance Of The South by Bo Bryan. (www.booksprice.com) & (www.shagthebook.com or perhaps .org) The book briefly describes the antics of Ft. Braggians at White Lake, NC in the late 40s and early 50s during the genesis of what later became shag dancing. Regards, and all that, Ta'er

tintin said...

Thanks, Ta'er. Did not know it went that far back. I'll look for the book.