26 March 2013

Ciao, Tony!



Back in high school, the last of four, DB and I bonded over James Bond, Kodachrome, mail order camera stores and Italian movies.  Our friendship has survived cultural differences and distances not to mention a fit of jealousy on the occasion he photographed my girlfriend topless in his parent's pool. 30 years later I'll admit my jealousy was more about his talent --He took better pictures of my girlfriend than I ever could.

Instead of 'awesome,' DB and I used, "Ciao, Tony!" to express anything we thought was cool. This was from a long forgotten Italian heist movie where, for the duration of the film, beautiful Italian women shout, "Ciao, Tony" to the hero. I still use it but mostly keep it to myself nowadays -- It's too hard to explain.

DB's good about sending me clips from obscure foreign films.  I posted about Mina and Trad Italian way back in 2008 - Before some of you were born.  She's not singing in DB's clip but I love everything about it. The car, the hotel, the clothing...I've always thought God was Italian.  I don't think he's at the Vatican.  I believe he's hanging out in a hotel somewhere on the Amalfi Coast in a white linen suit and drinking a chilled Umbrian white while nibbling at a bruschetta. I believe if that sportscar in the clip pulled up, God might say, "Ciao, Tony!"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are most kind, Tintin. You have always had a vintage Italian movie continuously playing in your head.

Ah, yes, I remember her suit: a red maillot-style one-piece, but with a sort of quasi-bandeau top, very popular at the time (as it still is). Because of the style, she simply had to lower herself into the pool for the shot. A rather G-rated one at that...

-DB

Anonymous said...

DB-chivalry lives!

tintin said...

DB - Same excuse 29 yrs ago and I still don't buy it.

KSB said...

Tintin,

You must die a little bit everytime that insipid Subway commercial comes on where some poor sap imagines he is transported to Rome on a Vespa after eating some sort of Italian themed sandwich. I know I do.

Charles said...

These days Italy has more than its share of talented pop singers. It is hard imagine a time when one singer so thoroughly dominated the scene.

Unknown said...

What was the name of the Italian heist movie? I saw it as a child but can never remember the name..