09 April 2008

Trad Sunglasses




So, were having this discussion about Trad Sunglasses over on Ask Andy about Trad. What brand do you like, what model, what you're willing to shell out...Persols and Ray Bans seem to be winning. But is going to a Sunglass Hut and dropping almost $300 anywhere close to Trad?

I found these Giorgio Armani sunglasses in a consignment shop in Chicago. Made in Italy, I'm guessing they're circa 1980 to 1985. Bought 'em for $35. Lenses were in bad shape so I took them to Friedrich's in NYC. They put new lenses in and threw in a super nice blue leather case with buff interior (I love Blue and Buff) for $50 bucks or so.

They go well with a Blue Blazer and a Rep Bow Tie.


7 comments:

longwing said...

tintin, nice glasses. are the lenses mostly gray or green?

tintin said...

Grey? How dare you. Green with a bespoke blue-ish tint.

longwing said...

I couldn't tell. I got some shades made up from black aa 406 because all they had were gray lenses. The look pretty good but I suspect yours look better.

I was thinking of getting some made with the crystal aa 406. silly?

Ms Robinson said...

This is very cool indeed tintin. x

tintin said...

longwing- I like the crystal 406. I assume you mean the clear frames? I always throw my Ben Silver catalog out after one read in the bathroom so I'm not able to refer to it.

Ms R- Thanks for the visit to my paltry little blog. Your site makes me feel like a 6 year old with a very small box of crayons.

Anonymous said...

I've my Ray-Ban Wayfarer II's from the outlet branch of Nordstrom: $140+ sunglasses, marked down to $50, which, for as well as they're built (practically indestructible given the countless times they've accidentally slid out of a breast pocket), are well worth it. Needless to say, I'll buy and wear those for a long time to come.

tylerldurden said...

i recently bought a pair of sunglasses from American Optical. Classic and great value.