08 April 2008

The Trad Movie Theatre

The Paris Theatre
Over the weekend I caught the Rolling Stones Docu at the Imax in New York. $16.00 a pop. When my Dad returned from a tour in South Korea, I pestered him to take me to see the Beatle's docu, "Let it Be." Walking out of the theatre he said, "Those guys could shit in a paper bag and people would buy it." I felt the same way about the Stones. I guess I am turning into my father.

The next day I went to the Paris for some contrast. It's a lovely little place tucked between the Plaza Hotel and Berdorf Goodman. Been there for 65 years and has yet to be chopped up into some cash inhaling multi-plex with postage stamp screens, video games and the ever present 16 year old hoovering the carpet. The "Lounge" is downstairs and damned if it ain't a lounge. Plush seating and art decco details everywhere. It really is something from a time long gone. There's even an open balcony. It's civilized and that's Trad.

4 comments:

Alice Olive said...

It is indeed very special. I remember seeing Being Julia there and the audience clapped afterwards. It felt like a play, not a movie. Lovely atmosphere.

tintin said...

They always clap. The audience must be regulars with the average age of 65. But they're all dressed so well. I counted three ascots last Sunday and the lady sitting in front of me was a dead ringer for Barbara Bel Geddes.

JJ said...

I love everything about this theater except for the fact they do not serve butter with popcorn.....

tintin said...

John- I hate to be the bearer of bad news but...that yellow crap they put on popcorn in the other theatres...that ain't butter.