16 April 2008

The Trad Museum




Some things don't change and thank goodness the Met in NYC has kept this exhibit going. I first saw these guys in the mid 80s and damned if they're not still at the Met. I remember walking into this room for the first time and seeing these four Knights and thinking , "Holy shit. " Probably not what the curator was after but it blew me away. Still does.

Is it Trad? I think it is. I mean it's the Met. And any Trad knows that if this stuff bores you there's always the Wine Bar where you can get a bottle of Claret for $40. That's a pretty good deal for a NYC museum. So sit at the bar, share a bottle of wine with a friend, cross your legs so everyone can see your socks and talk about the fact that none of this stuff would be here if people didn't have sex. You can't get more Trad than that.

7 comments:

longwing said...

This is a place I need to spend more time. I was nearby a couple of months ago and had just enough time to either make a quick pass through the met or make my first visit to polo. I think I made the wrong choice.

tintin said...

Actually, as you move through the Met, you'll see a lot of stuff Ralph has stolen.

Unknown said...

You simply must find old pictures of Diana Vreeland's Balenciaga exhibit in the Costume Institute. She used one of those nights in her installation! Always a pioneer...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
tintin said...

Cator, thanks. There was a catalog of the exhibit in '73. I'll look around for it. I think I know who would have it.

Unknown said...

I of course meant knight. Multi tasking is'nt a very trad thing to try.
Ask Harold Koda!

tintin said...

Everytime I see the word "Knight" I'm reminded of Chaucer in college and pronouncing it Ca-Nigcht.

Koda is the man. I was a member of The New York Museums Council back in the mid 80s. More for the free dinners and the opportunities to meet girls. I was very taken with the curator from the American Folk Museum. Anyway, I wish I could've met Koda. He's the real deal in a world of BS.