19 November 2013

Temptation



By the time I arrived in NYC in '84, New Order's, 'Temptation' had been out but not for long. I wound up with a bunch of the French guys who were rebuilding the Statue of Liberty torch in the same repousse way the original was constructed.

We wound up in a bar in midtown and lady luck and, I think, Lady Liberty, were looking down on us -- Not that it doesn't hurt to have 13 Frenchmen who make a living banging copper against wood. Girls were everywhere and so were the French. Me? I was lucky to be along for the ride.

I think it was an Irish bar - A massive place and we were on a balcony over looking the bar. 'Temptation' came on and the French started dancing by themselves. In no time, and I mean, NO. TIME. They were joined by women from every direction. I joined the human car wash and I remember it as a pure miracle I was lucky enough to join. The song seemed to just go on an on...

The French slowly paired up and left the balcony with their new American friends but I didn't want the dance to stop.

9 comments:

Smitty said...

You were in "the dance zone"
It happens on occasion and you never forget it!
NY, London town, Berlin, who knows when or where it will hit, but when it does, you are free, without a care and feel like you can live/dance forever. Tribal instincts perhaps?

brohammas said...

If I could take a chance and teach the world to dance and I'd be-
wait for it...

Dancin with myself.

Main Line Sportsman said...

This was a big play in the Fraternity party rooms of my Lehigh tenure. I always thought these guys were just ripping off The Cure.

David V said...

God! That was awful! The crap you kids listened to in '84.

Anonymous said...

Memo to my still slim self circa 1984: No white shorts. That is all.
Douglas Webber

Smitty said...

@Anon
White shorts, think......George Michael, Wake me up before you go, go!
Dear Lord have mercy!

Nick said...

"I always thought these guys were just ripping off The Cure."



Stick to the day-job, dude. They were and are fab. Saw t hem again last year in Brixton. Aging like the rest of us, but belted out some ace tunes, including a couple of the older Joy Division anthems.

Mind you the Cure are pretty damn good too.

Anonymous said...

@Nick

New Order live may be that rare case of something that is actually better now than it used to be. But I miss Peter Hook.
Douglas Webber

Anonymous said...

Still remember hearing extended Bizarre Love Triangle in a club in Montreal circa '86 i think..
road trip from London on. we drove a vw cabrio with the top down ..very cold but you gotta have the top down...