21 August 2013

Elmore Leonard 11 Oct 1925 - 20 Aug 2013


"I wrote a scene about a detective who quits to become a photographer. He borrows a wheel chair from a friend who stole it at the airport and sits outside a terminal taking pictures of people arriving in Miami. Guy comes over and says, "Nice camera. Mind if I check it out?" Fella hands him the camera and the guy walks off with it. The fella gets outta the wheel chair, knocks the guy down and beats his head against the curb.

I thought it was okay, but the scene stews with me for a couple weeks and I changed it. Guy takes the camera, walks a few steps, turns back to the fella in the wheel chair and says, 'Can you walk?' Fella in the wheel chair nods. Guy walks back and gently puts the camera back on the fella's lap."  Elmore Leonard

 From, "A Hot & Humid Night with Elmore Leonard" on The Trad, 25 January 2013

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chili Palmer: What is that?

Rental Car Attendant: It's an Oldsmobile Silhouette.

Chili Palmer: I ordered a Cadillac.

Rental Car Attendant: Oh, well, you got the Cadillac of minivans.

-DB

2Stoics said...

That's a damn shame. I like that guy.

2Stoics said...

Test

Smitty said...

Tintin, where for art thou? I hope you are on a fabulous vacation! I'm hungry for a new post.....

Anonymous said...

Greetings & Salutations. www.williamboyd.co.uk/solo Regards, etc. Ta'er

tintin said...

Smitty- Soon to be back but I'm sure much worse.

Ta'er - Thanks! Boyd and Bond. It's gotta be outstanding...