02 July 2013

On the Road to Character




PHIL
The question is, do you have any character at all? And if you want my honest opinion, Bob. You do not. For the simple reason...you don't regret anything yet.

BOB
You're saying I won't have any character unless I do something I regret?

PHIL
No, Bob.
I'm saying you've already done plenty of things to regret.
You just don't know what they are.
(a beat)
It's when you discover them.
When you see the folly of something you've done, and you wish
you had it to do over but you know you can't 'cause it's too late.
So, you pick that thing up and carry it with you to remind you that
life goes on... The world will spin without you...
You really don't matter in the end.
Then...you will attain character because honesty will reach out from inside
and tattoo itself all across your face.
Until that day - however - you can not expect to go beyond a certain point.

2 comments:

Smitty said...

Phil: You look melancholy Bob.

Bob: I do? How so?

Phil: You have a head like a mellon and a face like a collie.

Bob: May I leave now?

Anonymous said...

Hadn't seen this before. Solid.