18 July 2013

I Like it in the Can...


Like me, the Old Man cheated when it came to beer.  Not the one to marry a brand, he had affairs with Coors, Black Label, Old Milwaukee, Olympia and Ballantine -- And even though he was a proponent of drinking local beer -- that wise advise would be put aside if beer from a world away was on sale.  It never fails to surprise me how much we are alike.

I remember Hamm's in our house when the Old Man was the Public Affair's officer at NORAD and we were living in Colorado Springs.  That was '73 and '74.  I don't remember seeing it much afterwards.  I'm sure it was around but it was off my radar...until last week when I saw it selling for $5 a 12 pack.  Brewed by Miller, it's been available out west but seems to be moving east.  And it ain't half bad --  but I also like Bud Lite Lime so fair warning.

Hamm's, and it's a pleasure to say, "Hamm's," is a little like a full wine.  Not insipid at all but rather full and malty.  It has a pleasant mouth feel and I like it in the can -- With smoked almonds or a big white cheddar on a Triscut. At less than .50 cents a can, it's a no brainer.  If you see it - pick it up.  I reckon it's already got a good head of steam with the sock-less and blistered hipsters. I'm looking for it on tap...which I'm guessing is better than getting it in the can.   

12 comments:

M.Lane said...

I love Hamms! My Wisconsin roots I guess. "From the land of sky blue waters"!!!

ML

Smitty said...

The bartender said, what will you have? She said, a beer. He said, how do you take it? She said, in the can. He said, I don't get off until 1am.

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

It never fails: When friends offer me PBR in a can I always ask for a glass. I proceed to stand around as if I were Frasier's brother Niles lost in a rockabilly bar. I never learn.

-DB

Main Line Sportsman said...

The Lehigh fraternity taps ran Hamms all the time....drank oceans of the stuff in 12 oz plastic cups. I actually never had it in the can...literally.

David V said...

Tavern signs in Chicago in the '50s were supplied by either Hamms, Old Style or Schlitz.

tintin said...

Getting it in the can is not near as bad as people make it out to be.

Smitty said...

That's what the chef said after 30 days at sea.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Tin. I'll have to try this.

Nothing wrong with budlite lime. A sage from Liverpool once told me, at the beginning of the night you drink you're preferred beer. At the end you'll drink any goddamn thing.

--Matthew

Anonymous said...

I had a Hamm's tall-boy at the Jake (or Progressive Field for those neophytes) this summer. Perfect beer for a hot day at the ballpark.

Scale Worm said...

My dad used to buy Carling's Black Label, and Miller.
I used to drink beer with him as a kid, cause if your old man offers you one, when you are hanging out with him and his brothers, and they are telling war stories, you drink a beer too. You want to be them, then.

Unclelooney said...

Hamm's was a St Paul beer and at one time one of the major breweries in the country. Not only could one drink it in a can but the draft was sold in cans which looked like miniature kegs. i still have a couple.

Sean said...

Had 4 just last night at Will's Northwoods Tavern in Chicago. Go there, dear readers, if you in town. $2 a can for Hamm's